18 October 2008

Sinks and Rise





I have seen a lot of beautiful things in my life and Popo Agie sinks literally took my breath away. When I walked up to the look out, I saw the river coming down but trees were blocking my view of where it went. I didn't even know what I was looking for. "The sinks" didn't sound that exciting, a river disappearing into the ground? Oh well. However, when I rounded that dead-end corner at the look out and saw that magnificent sight, it took my breath away.

Beautiful.

I walked down to the cave and looked out to where the water vanishes. It was beautiful, and a little spooky, being right down where the water disappears. I felt like I, too, might disappear with the water.

I will post pictures and a little video

Popo Agie -pronounced like am-BRO-sia, stress on the second syllable, po-PO-sia. Ready? Replace the "am" with po, the "bro" with po, and the agie is pronounced like the "sia" (anyone have a better way to explain this Crow Indian pronunciation?)

2 comments:

Juan said...

Hey Karla,
There is a couple of caves, actual beyond the daylight caves, in the canyon. One is right there at the Sinks and is often referred to as The Party Cave. The other is gated, (I installed the most recent gate to regulate access and prevent vandalism) and is called Boulder Choke cave. You think the Sinks is wild, let me know when you are in the area again and I would be happy to take you and the family down into Boulder Choke and make sure you are outfitted right. I also sent you an e-mail, but so far it hasn't got through. I will send it again later. Be well, Juan

Karla said...

HI Juan! Thanks for the information. I hadn't heard about the other caves. Are the open for public access?